There are some people in your life that offer invaluable advice. My Auntie D is one of them (she is not related to Salty D, my husband.) I've been staying with her in San Diego. I hope you find it useful.
1. Place a Barbie doll at the entrance to your casita. It welcomes visitors to a world of fun and fashion.
2. There's no need to have a TV. Except to watch fun movies.
3. Keep what you love and downsize the rest.
4. Have lots of friends.
5. Whenever you start to lose direction, find yourself in an ice cream shop or a bar and all will be OK.
6. Volunteer to help our veterans.
Auntie D. works with the Wounded Warrior Project at the airport. It has quite an impact.
7. Finally, Y.O.M.F.
When she first said this to me during one of my breakdown phases, I thought about it for a second and said, "Yo, Motherfucker?" She said, Uh...no.
You get schooled on an airplane about what to do when cabin pressure gets all jacked up, and you're told to put on your own mask first, before assisting others.
So, always remember, when the shit is going down, Your Own Mask First.